Company Case Studies
To make the GPAH tangible and to support sharing of best practices, case studies that demonstrate the principles in action have been made available below.
The case studies have been updated and added to in November 2014. Please click on each case study below for more information.
We also recommend you read the GPAH Status report for more information.
Expanding access to healthcare is complex and requires the participation and cooperation of numerous diverse stakeholders with complementary responsibilities and capabilities, to solve systemic challenges.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation-World Health Organization ENGAGE-TB Project, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Diabetes in School Programme (Turkey), Sanofi
- GHIT Fund (Global Health Innovative Technology Fund), Astellas Pharma Inc.
- Groundbreaking Partnership with Save the Children to Help Save 1 Million Lives, GSK
- Leprosy Donation Program, Novartis International AG
- MECTIZAN Donation Program, Merck
- Merck Access Dialogues, Merck Serono
- Merck for Mothers, Merck
- Power of One with Malaria No More, Novartis
- Sanofi Pasteur Partners in the Endgame Polio Eradication Effort, Sanofi
- Takeda-Plan Healthcare Access Program, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Expanding Availability of Healthcare Services
The results of our innovations are only of value to patients if they are available and accessible. Approaches need to be market-appropriate and reflect adherence to globally recognized compliance guidelines.
- Alcance, Sanofi
- Arogya Parivar (Hindi for “Healthy Family”), Novartis
- Base of the Pyramid Innovation Project, Novo Nordisk
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Agreement with Medicines Patent Pool to Increase Access to Atazanavir, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Differential Pricing Policy for Least Developed Countries, Novo Nordisk
- Differential Pricing to Address Affordability in Egypt, Roche
- Janssen eMedical Advisor (JeMA) Platform for Sub-Saharan Africa, Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- Janssen Global Access and Partnership Program (GAPP), Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- Janssen Global Public Health HIV Medicines Access & Partnerships Program, Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- New Business Models to Increase Access in Developing Countries, GlaxoSmithKline
- NGO Narmada Samagra’s River Ambulance and Water Testing Project, Merck Serono
- Private Health Insurance for Cancer Treatment in China, Roche
- SMS for Life, Novartis International AG
- StarBem, Sanofi
Research and Development
Research and Development is the primary mechanism through which we seek to meet unmet health needs.
- Achieving a Milestone on a Malaria Vaccine, GSK
- AmpliCare: Combating HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries, Roche
- An Open Approach to Tackling Diseases of the Developing World, GlaxoSmithKline
- ASAQ Winthrop Risk Management Plan, Sanofi
- DNDi Partnership for Development of an Oral Treatment of Sleeping Sickness, Sanofi
- Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) Drug-Discovery Research Consortiums, Astellas Pharma Inc.
- Pediatric Praziquantel Consortium, Merck Serono
- Pediatric Praziquantel Consortium to Treat Schistosomiasis in Young Children, Astellas Pharma Inc.
Developing Health Systems Resources
Quality healthcare rests on the strength and capacity of local health systems.
- Alliance to Reduce Disparities in Diabetes, Merck
- Changing Diabetes in Children, Novo Nordisk
- Changing Diabetes in Pregnancy, Novo Nordisk
- ColaLife, Johnson & Johnson
- e-Learning to Reduce Maternal and Child Mortality, Novartis
- Educating Healthcare Workers in Saudi Arabia, Roche
- Jian Kang Kuai Che (“Health Express”), Novartis International AG
- Melanoma Exposed™. Screen. Protect. Know. Tell., Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Middle East Program in Health Economics and Health Technology Assessment, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Strengthening Diagnostics in Africa, Roche
- Strengthening Healthcare Systems Through Investment in Community Health Workers, GlaxoSmithKline
- Strengthening Healthcare Systems: 20 Percent Reinvestment Initiative, GSK
- Takeda Initiative, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Transnet-Phelophepa Healthcare Train, Roche
Respecting Human Rights
A respect for human rights is at the foundation of our activities.