Case Study: Collaboration
Sanofi Pasteur Partners in the Endgame Polio Eradication Effort, Sanofi
Sanofi Pasteur, the world’s largest producer of IPV (inactivated polio vaccine), and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have developed a joint price support mechanism, including a financial contribution from both organizations, that allows Sanofi Pasteur to offer IPV at a price of €0.75 per dose (approximately US$1) to 73 of the world’s poorest countries. The Gavi Alliance, a global immunization partnership, will make IPV available for inclusion in routine immunization schedules in these countries.
Sanofi Pasteur supports the introduction of IPV in every country as part of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) polio endgame strategy. In addition to OPV (oral polio vaccine) campaigns, the World Health Organization’s committee on immunization policy (the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts, or SAGE) recommended in April 2013 that all countries introduce at least one dose of IPV into routine polio immunization programs to mitigate the risk of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus.
We are committed to providing affordable IPV and have developed a tiered pricing framework to guarantee the lowest possible price for the poorest countries and affordable pricing for all others.
Partnering with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Gavi, and UNICEF (UN Children’s Fund) is key to making our IPV available to the world’s children.
Results to Date?
Sanofi Pasteur has confirmed its commitment to support this global health strategy with the expansion of production capacities of IPV in France by dedicating significant industrial investments over five years (2011–2016), with the aim of achieving an annual production capacity of 300 million doses. In the meantime, we will also provide 1.7 billion doses of OPV from 2013 through 2017.
Related Case Studies on Collaboration
- Sanofi Pasteur Partners in the Endgame Polio Eradication Effort, Sanofi
- Power of One with Malaria No More, Novartis
- Merck Access Dialogues, Merck Serono
- Groundbreaking Partnership with Save the Children to Help Save 1 Million Lives, GSK
- GHIT Fund (Global Health Innovative Technology Fund), Astellas Pharma Inc.
- MECTIZAN Donation Program, Merck
- Merck for Mothers, Merck
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation-World Health Organization ENGAGE-TB Project, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Takeda-Plan Healthcare Access Program, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Diabetes in School Programme (Turkey), Sanofi
- Leprosy Donation Program, Novartis International AG