Case Study: Expanding Availability of Healthcare Services
In 2013, Sanofi launched StarBem in Brazil to support patients in the treatment of diabetes. Built on five pillars—information, education, support, access, and solutions—this integrated service platform brings together all our company’s initiatives for people with diabetes. It provides a wide range of services that go beyond access to products:
- educational visits by instructors;
- two dedicated call centers, with access to a trained health attendant team: one for patient enrollment and the other for product support and treatment;
- a network of accredited pharmacies; and
- a tiered-pricing program with possible treatment discounts.
In addition, information is available via a dedicated website (www.StarBem.com.br) and social media (Facebook fan page), which facilitates support groups and discussions for people with diabetes.
StarBem is a new service platform in Brazil connecting several existing diabetes initiatives. It illustrates what we mean by integrated patient care: providing visits from educators, assistance for insulin use and self-monitoring, information and support from dedicated call centers, a pharmacy network, and more. It exemplifies our innovative approach to integrated patient care programs.
Results to Date?
By late 2013:
- More than 40,000 patients had benefited from the overall program.
- More than 18,000 patients had benefited from the tier-pricing program.
- More than 1,350 points of sale were involved in the program.
- The call centers were responding to an average of 12,000 calls each month.
The project has everything necessary to make it an extension channel of the diabetes patient’s quality of life, strengthen the doctor-patient relationship, and at the same time, enable a favorable scenario for all Sanofi diabetes products.
Related Case Studies on Expanding Availability of Healthcare Services
- StarBem, Sanofi
- Differential Pricing to Address Affordability in Egypt, Roche
- Arogya Parivar (Hindi for “Healthy Family”), Novartis
- NGO Narmada Samagra’s River Ambulance and Water Testing Project, Merck Serono
- Janssen eMedical Advisor (JeMA) Platform for Sub-Saharan Africa, Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- Janssen Global Public Health HIV Medicines Access & Partnerships Program, Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Agreement with Medicines Patent Pool to Increase Access to Atazanavir, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Base of the Pyramid Innovation Project, Novo Nordisk
- Differential Pricing Policy for Least Developed Countries, Novo Nordisk
- Private Health Insurance for Cancer Treatment in China, Roche
- Janssen Global Access and Partnership Program (GAPP), Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson
- New Business Models to Increase Access in Developing Countries, GlaxoSmithKline
- Alcance, Sanofi
- SMS for Life, Novartis International AG