Case Study: Developing Health Systems Resources
Takeda Initiative, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
African countries, in particular, suffer from very severe shortages of healthcare workers, which hinders their efforts to deliver the healthcare services needed to overcome such diseases. Accordingly, Takeda has decided to contribute to Global Fund–supported programs aimed at enhancing healthcare systems in African nations, primarily through the development and up skilling of healthcare personnel.
Takeda has learned the importance of 1) strong governance of partner organization and 2) holistic assistance to diverse healthcare personnel including doctors, local healthcare NGOs and village leaders.
Results to Date
Main financial supporters to the Global Fund used be national government and private foundation such as MGF. In March 2010, Takeda became the second private company to support the Global Fund followed by Shevron. After Takeda, AngloAmerican also followed to support the Global Fund in Nov. 2010.
Related Case Studies on Developing Health Systems Resources
- Educating Healthcare Workers in Saudi Arabia, Roche
- Strengthening Diagnostics in Africa, Roche
- Changing Diabetes in Pregnancy, Novo Nordisk
- e-Learning to Reduce Maternal and Child Mortality, Novartis
- ColaLife, Johnson & Johnson
- Strengthening Healthcare Systems: 20 Percent Reinvestment Initiative, GSK
- Middle East Program in Health Economics and Health Technology Assessment, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Changing Diabetes in Children, Novo Nordisk
- Transnet-Phelophepa Healthcare Train, Roche
- Alliance to Reduce Disparities in Diabetes, Merck
- Melanoma Exposed™. Screen. Protect. Know. Tell., Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Strengthening Healthcare Systems Through Investment in Community Health Workers, GlaxoSmithKline
- Takeda Initiative, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Jian Kang Kuai Che (“Health Express”), Novartis International AG